We are so happy to announce that The Adventures of Seymour & Hau: IRELAND is at the printers! To celebrate we are inviting EVERYONE to attend our book launch celebration!
Self-publishing a book all by ourselves has been nothing short of ridiculous, but that is just what we did and we are incredibly proud of our two books and revved up for the third!
Thought you might like to know a little bit about the process so in a nutshell we…
1. Come up with a concept for the story that fits in with our Seymour & Hau theme of bringing a love and curiosity for other cultures to children and their families, while creating a joyful and enriching reading experience.
2. Research the culture, talk to as many people as possible from the country we are representing, research more, talk more, and then, hope the kids get curious enough to find out more after the book.
3. Write. Rewrite. Rewrite. Rewrite. Rewrite. Rewrite. Rewrite. Rewrite. Rewrite. Rewrite. Rewrite. Rewrite. Rewrite. Rewrite. Rewrite. Rewrite. Rewrite….
4. Get feedback. Rewrite. Edit
5. Send the manuscript to a bunch of friends for their edit. Make changes.
6. Decide what illustrations we want. Find references for them, write in-depth descriptions for all of them, and send a detailed spreadsheet to our illustrators. (next news article…how we found our illustrators!)
7. Back and fourth with illustrators until everything is just right.
8. Layout. Phew. Tom does the layout for the whole book, gets all of the text and illustrations in the right spot and makes it all pretty.
9. We print out a copy at home and do another edit making sure there are no more errors in the text (there are ALWAYS more errors), make sure the layout flows, the illustrations are in the right place and the front and back cover look good.
10. Print out two completed books at the printer. Go over it all AGAIN. Make changes.
11. Take a deep breath and go for it. Print a bunch of copies! Set up a launch party and then…repeat.
So, that’s the quick version. Occasionally (read frequently) it helps to include wine or beer (read whisky) in some of the steps. At this point we are completely self-published, and we fit in our work on Seymour & Hau in between our regular jobs, parenting teens, and being a part of our community. We hope to have a publishing company become interested in our series and of course eventually hope to sell a gazillion books around the world. Our dream is to continue writing Seymour & Hau books and be able to set up successful outreach in countries all over the world to meet a community’s specific needs and to promote awareness and action for our children and their families, creating Little Global Citizens who want to help make the world a better place.
Hope you can come to our book launch on December 3rd from 12pm-2pm at Hallwalls 341 Delaware Ave, Buffalo, NY 14202. We also have a Facebook event set up with more info here. If you live in the Buffalo area, please join us! Or if you don’t, feel free to travel to us! Or if you can’t, the book with be available online shortly. We will keep you posted on that. We will have both of our Seymour & Hau books available for purchase at the launch. PLUS, since we are highlighting Ireland this time lots of free Irish; activities, food tasting, music and more!
Melanie & Tom